Fifth Estate # 77, April 17-30, 1969

photo, Dr. Eugene Schoenfeld speaking at Community Arts Auditorium, May 28, 1969
Dr. Eugene Schoenfeld speaking at Community Arts Auditorium, May 28, 1969 at a benefit for Open City. Photo: Alan Gotkin.

QUESTION: Where can I get myself CASTRATED? I’m tired of sex, I hate sex, I don’t want to be controlled by women any longer! I hate the two-facedness, double-think, hypocrisy. I can’t stand living in the Sexual Contradiction any longer: sex is condemned, sex is admired; sex is dirty, sex is fun; if I ask her or imply that I want sex, she hates me (“What? You think I’m a WHORE?”), but if I don’t ask her and in fact act like ‘I don’t want sex’ (and I have done this) she says, “What? I’m NOT GOOD ENOUGH for you?”

I think all morals should be destroyed, the Church should be destroyed, the educational system, the family, the state, the culture, male supremacy, money, competition, the TV, Power, the police and the courts should be destroyed as the only way in which we can live in a sexually free society. Maybe we should all have to be brought up nude to eliminate the sex hang-ups. And why should we hide it? To protest this social atrocity and hypocrisy, masses of people should fuck in the streets.

But in the mean time, I can’t stand it. Will a hospital do it? I don’t mean just removing the tubes. I mean cutting off the dick and the sac, so there won’t be any more desire for sex. Would I still be able to live? What would happen if I did it myself? Is there any way to put the sex organs to sleep to eliminate the pain?

ANSWER: I think you should call the Department of Mental Health of your county or City Health Department to learn of psychiatric services available to you. Other sources of information are the local medical society or the nearest medical school. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.

QUESTION: What explanation can you give me for the appearance, several weeks ago, of a lump or knot in the center, or midway lengthwise, of the penis, it is located toward the upper surface.

Since the appearance of this lump, which is not painful by the way, I have noted another thing: when erect, the penis has assumed a pronounced curve upward giving a sort of boomerang appearance. While this does not prevent penetration, it does present a bit of awkwardness for coitus.

P.S. My age is 51.

ANSWER: You should consult your family physician or a urologist to determine the cause of this lump. A painless lump anywhere in the body should be cause for a prompt visit to the doctor.

QUESTION: Could you explain please the results of a conversion operation for either a male or female trans-sexual. Is it possible to develop a penis for a woman or a vagina for a man?

ANSWER: To answer your question briefly, it is possible to construct an artificial vagina for a trans-sexual male but not a penis for a trans-sexual female. In a male the penis and testicles are surgically removed and an artificial vagina constructed, usually from the lining of the scrotum. Female hormones are given to cause enlargement of the breasts and a decrease in facial hair.

In females, male hormones are given to increase the amount of facial hair and to deepen the voice. The breasts are often surgically removed but thus far no technique has been developed to give a penis to a trans-sexual female.

QUESTION: Is it wrong to experimentally have anal intercourse with a fellow shipmate?

ANSWER: I think it’s against Navy Regulations.

DEAR DR. HIPPOCRATES is a collection of letters and answers published by Grove Press. $5 at your favorite bookstore.

Dr. Schoenfeld welcomes your questions. Write to him c/o P.O. Box 9002, Berkeley California 94709.