Thee Column


Fifth Estate # 98, February 4-18, 1970


I’ve got the clap, but because of night classes, I can’t get to the Open City Free Medical Clinic. Is there anywhere I can get treatment during the daytime?


City of Detroit to the rescue! The Detroit Social Hygiene Clinic is the place you’re looking for. The clinic is located in building 7 of the Herman Keifer Hospital, 8811 John Lodge, which is on the west side of the freeway just south of Clairmont.

Clinic hours are:

Women: 8:00 to 9:00 a.m., Monday through Friday.

Men: 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

If all you have is clap, the diagnosis and treatment (a FUCK of a lot of penicillin) will be completed the day you go. If it should be suspected that you have syphilis or something else requiring a blood test for positive diagnosis, you will be given a blood test and told to come back in three to five days for the results.

Try to get there as early as possible (a half hour before the appointment time is usually good) because of the large number of infected citizens in our town. If you want more information or a booklet describing the symptoms of the prominent social inhibitors, call Peter Crippen, the information director at the clinic. His number is 872-7441.


My roommate is a $50.00 a day smack freak. We’ve heard about Methadone but nobody knows how to score it or what it is. Can you turn us on to some?

There are only three Methadone clinics in the city and all three have huge waiting lists. The three, Lafayette Clinic, Harper Hospital and Detroit General Hospital are all running pilot or experimental programs with only 10 to 50 people each. The only way to get Methadone immediately is thru a sympathetic private doctor. Most private doctors shy away from prescribing Methadone because they get too much hassle from the Federal Narcs.

Check with the Open City Medical Clinic for possible referral to a doctor.


I’ve spent the last month looking for a job without any luck. NONE of the employment agencies will even talk to anyone with long hair. I checked all the jobs at Open City but nothing looks very good. Is there any other place to get information about jobs?

The Michigan Employment Security Commission has listings of thousands of jobs. They don’t care how weird you look. Various offices handle the different kinds of job openings.

For information on which office to contact call 222-1837.

Also try to sneak into the Wayne State University placement office, on the second floor of the Administration building. The office is in the north building….don’t confuse it with the employment office in the south building. They have some interesting jobs listed there. If they ask for your I.D. tell them you left it home.

Serve The People Coalition coordinators wanted me to be sure and thank the Open City people, who were instrumental in making the Sinclair benefits a tremendous success. The Open City freeks were the complete staff at both ballrooms as well as running medical clinics both nights, and staying at the Eastown till 4:30 a.m. cleaning up.

Pete Andrews, manager of the SRC and one of the coordinators of these shows and of last year’s Saugatuck and Detroit Pop Festivals, says that the next time he produces a show he definitely wants the Open City people as his staff.

If you have any questions or problems, write it to:

THEE COLUMN c/o The Fifth Estate 1107 W. Warren, Detroit 48201

or call Open City at 831-2770 and leave a message.